Google Chrome02 Sep 2008
A new web browser has arrived. Google Chrome has just been released in beta.
Here are my initial thoughts:-
- The installer worked and it imported all of my Firefox settings without a problem.
- The design is simple and clean and feels less cluttered than IE or Firefox.
- The tabs work really well and each tab sits within its own process so that hopefully any pages or sites that would normally crash the entire browser will only require the tab closing and thus not losing any work or pages that you have left open.
- It is really fast! It launches faster than IE and renders faster than Firefox. The rendering engine appears to be WebKit rather than the Mozilla engine.
- It's small! By that I mean that it's memory footprint in task manager is at least 3 times smaller than my Firefox footprint and that is with just the one tab open.
- I already miss my Firefox extensions!
So far so good.
I shall be testing all the sites I've worked on and actually use it as my main browser for a little while.