04 Dec 2020
Overview ☀ While testing a feature locally on my macmini I was uploading an image when I got the following error: Unable to load shared library ‘libgdiplus’ or one of its dependencies Dependencies 🌱 So, after a quick google the following was suggested to me: mono-libgdiplus brew install mono-libgdiplus I already had this installed but I re-installed just in case That did not work so the next option available was to add a reference to...
13 Nov 2020
Overview ☀ The very latest version of .NET Core was launched at .NET Conf. It is the free, cross-platform and open-source developer platform from Microsoft which includes the latest versions of ASP.NET and C# among others. I decided to wait until the upgrade was available in all the various package managers such as homebrew on macOS and apt-get on Ubuntu and chocolatey on Windows before I upgraded my projects. This ensured that my operating systems...
05 Oct 2020
Overview ☀ I have now built my first .NET Core Global Tool! A .NET Core Global Tool is special NuGet package that contains a console application that is installed globally on your machine. It is installed in a default directory that is added to the PATH environment variable. This means you can invoke the tool from any directory on the machine without specifying its location. The Application 🌱 So, rather than the usual Hello World...
02 Oct 2020
All of a sudden spotlight on my macOS Mojave macmini stopped working… There is a process called mdutil which manages the metadata stores used by Spotlight and was the culprit for my issue. The fix after some Google Fu and some trial and error was to restart this process as follows: sudo mdutil -a -i off sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist sudo mdutil -a -i on Hopefully this won’t happen...
30 Sep 2020
Every time apt-get upgrade upgrades my local MySQL instance on my Ubuntu laptop I get the following error:
(1698, "Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost'")
The fix each time is the following, so here it is for me next time save me wasting time googling the error every time.
sudo mysql -u root
update user set plugin='mysql_native_password' where User='root';
And with that all is well again!